Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Zambia in All of Us! By Michael BUSH

The Zambia in All of Us! By Michael BUSH
Dear you,
1.0 It's a week plus since the final whistle of the 28th AFCON was sounded. The new Champions of Africa are the team with the most unsuggestive sobriquet: Chipolopolo of Zambia. This climax of the Zambia Chapter in the book of Africa football is one that proves, conclusively, that God is a Zambian. Only God's people will go through what Zambia has been through and still emerge from the rubble to strike gold. This Zambia victory is a befitting end to their long, lonely walk, groping for a long-deserved continental recognition. And, it was easy to know this was Zambia's Year. Rewind to 1993. A plane conveying the Zambian national team chose to go kaput off the coast of Gabon. All 18 players on board perished. Still -trust the Zambia resilience- they raised an all-new team (well, apart from Captain Kalusha Bwalya who had missed that terminal flight) and went on all the way to the Grand Finale of AFCON the following year. Unfortunately for them, that was when our Super Eagles were truly deserving of that name. So, as it happened in 1974, the Zambians only went within an inch of touching the trophy; but no! Yet, therein again was embedded the strength of conviction that this was the time. Perhaps their nemesis was the number four. And, since this was 2012, not 2014, any deep thinker, not afraid of being tagged superstitious, would have predicted a Chipolopolo victory. Not to claim any clairvoyance; I remember saying this much in this Column, which could not be pubished last Monday, and on Facebook as well as on live radio in Abuja last Friday. I still see in my mind's eye how my Studio Guest, Big Brother William Williams, screamed that that was pure superstition. He then reeled into that sustained laughter that showed he was really amused. My only consolation that late morning was that the veteran broadcaster was on the same page with me vis-a-vis an impending Elephants loss.
2.0 By the way, what Big Brother William Williams should know is that it is my Uruanness, not superstition, that guides me, twenty four seven. Another very strong indication that Zambia will carry the day was the way Cote D'Ivoire carried themselves, so Chelseaishly. (I expect that Idy James, Raphael Edem, Idara Mbeh and other Chelsea fans will now have something new to attack me for!) Ivorien Players and fans had forcefully snatched the bragging rights and were busy celebrating long before the first whistle. Even their star analyst, Mammadou Gaye, sat on International TV and mouthed that Cote D'Ivoire will beat Zambia four nil. Such disrespect has a way of turning a cat into a lion! Or better still, of messing up Goliath face-to-face with an underrated David! If Mkpat Enin, in spite of her sheer size, chooses to underrate Ibiaku Nto Okpo, because of the latter's butterfly-like legs, the former will almost-always see, as they say in Cameroon, that SMALL NO BE SICK!
3.0 Furthermore, there was yet the strongest reassurance that the morning joy God promises was going to happen in Lusaka, not Yamoussoukro. I'm in no haste, though, to share this with you. Promise first you won't say I'm superstitious. Tell me you won't or I won't tell you. Deal? Okay, here you are: if eighteen Zambians died on active duty on Gabonese soil, were Ivoriens so dumb to know that all eighteen ghosts will also actively participate in the match involving Zambia in Libreville? You may laugh all you can. After all, shouldn't I by now be used to being scornfully laughed at whenever I say some of these things? Even, my own brother, James Edet of AKBC TV, forgot he was on live tv last Wednesday while playing host to me. I had simply told him of this 18 Ghosts Factor, and he passed out in laughter. When he and even his backroom Support Team recovered from their chronic laughter, he asked me why I should believe that Ghosts exist. My simple answer of 'So, no Holy Ghost?' sent them reeling again. I am convinced I am correct and right.
4.0 But, seriously, we must not take anything away from the Zambians. They were clearly the hungrier, better, and more businesslike team last night. I congratulate them. You too should. And as someone alluded to last night; with this victory especially in a tournament no one gave Chipolopolo a dog's chance, the souls of the Zambian 18 can now truly rest in peace. Yes, sadists, it took nearly two decades for this befitting tribute; so? Was there in all those years an AFCON Grand Finale in Gabon? Come on, please, those guys did not die in vain. In fact, they wouldn't have wished for a more deafening minute of silence than the over 150 minute silencing of star-studded Cote D'Ivoire. Congratulations, Kalusha Bwalya; congratulations, Chipolopolo; congratulations, Zambia. 2014. Nigeria?
5.0 However, as Africa retreats for 2014, can I also retreat to share with us what I think is in this unexpected but Continent-wide celebrated Zambia victory, for all of us? One, your fate is in your hands. Only you can decide the fate of your fate. Let the world give you no chance; let them poke all the fun they can at you; but stay focused and determined. Two, pride goes before a fall. Never brag at all. Not before the moment of decision; not afterwards. Our God never shares Glory. You can become a permanent Champion if you obey this rule. Tell your story, but give all the glory to God. Three, there's power in numbers. You must know which is yours. For the Zambians, I think their worst number is four: 1974, 1994. Their best? I think 18. How? Oh that, 18 years after their 18 colleagues perished, they won the elusive gold! What is your own number? These are not all there is in the Zambia story for us. You can discover the rest. To end, I am sure you know, as I do, that football had since overtaken religion as the opium of the people. Many thanks, and God bless family and you. Jesus is Lord!
Your co-spectator
BUSH

No comments:

Post a Comment