Thursday 5 January 2012

Grandma Refuses My Xmas Hamper By David Augustine


I was with grandma on Thursday evening last week. I had gone to pay my usual Christmas homage. I chose Thursday, December 22, instead of our traditional December 23, evening family get-together. I had to. December 23, 2011, had been designated as the night for the “Guinness Book”-making choir ensemble, organized by the state government. I did not want to miss the fun and the thrill of such nights of colour and songs.
As I made my approach, I could not, but notice the drab ambiance of my grandmother’s residence. There was nothing Christmas at the expansive compound. This was not grandma at Christmas. One of the things that gave us the Christmas kick when we were growing up was the extensive Christmas decoration that usually adorned grandma’s house at the yuletide. The well-laid landscape every Christmas received special attention. The lawns with their beautiful flowers were usually beauty to behold. The Christmas lightings around the premises would loll you deeper into the gardens as you savour the enthralling scents issuing from various flowers in the garden. As you get deeper, you feel a sense of romantic fusion of all the senses luring you closer to nature and beauty. The deftness grandma brings to bear in such beautifications, was uncommon and we would marvel, as we grew older, the amount of time and care she usually devoted to such tendering.
Tonight, the place was not my grandma’s place. There were no beckoning lights. There were no special carols sending some soothing soft music around the compound. The flowers were there, but they refused to give out their sweet-smelling scents. The place looked forlorn. I was confused. Had grandma forgotten it was Christmas? What is the meaning of all this, I thought as I made my way into the sitting room. Here too the story was the same. Except for a lone six-foot Christmas tree, the room looked its normal self. The dainty setting was still apparent. But there was no Christmas breath in the sitting room I had entered. I looked around; I could count a mere ten cards on display on the expansive mantelpiece.
Grandma’s music set was playing, not a Christmas carol, but Dido and Aeneas, a masterpiece based on a tragedy by Nahum Tate, which was first performed in about 1689, and composed by the best known English composer, Henry Purcell, famous for his theatrical music. I knew grandma’s insatiable appetite for classical music, but an opera, and a tragic one at that, for Christmas? It did not add up. I looked around. She was not anywhere around. I went to the music set and removed the playing album from the turntable. Grandma had stuck to her turntable because that was the only way to keep playing the array of albums containing her classical collections, a hefty treasure possession, product of years of purchasing the best in that genre of music. I tried to get something to put me back in the mood of Christmas from some of the flicks on the table. The only thing I saw that came close to a carol was a Christmas Symphony by a strange name, I was not sure I had come across before. The composer was a guy by the name Krzysztof Penderecki, a Polish, I guessed. The music as played by the New York Philharmonic was a one-movement work, intriguing in its striking Baroque strong sense of dynamism.
She walked in, looked at me and smiled, apparently at my rapt attention to the not so popular composer with such a distinct style. She was about to go into the intricate analysis of the music when she noticed my quizzical look. “What is the problem my son”, she asked pulling my arm, heading to the three-seater settee. “Grandma, what is happening?” I asked as we settled on the soft sofa. “About what she retorted”, in pretended ignorance. “I mean, where is the Christmas in this compound?” She looked pensively at me and startled me with a bout of long laughter that got me confused and surprised.
“Christmas has taken flight in our land”, she said matter-of-factly. “What’s that grandma?” I asked. “I thought you are a journalist? Why are you asking such a dumb question, when you can feel the absence of real joy around you?” all these, she said with fire in her eyes. I kept quite. I dare not work her up in this season. I sat there saying nothing. She began again, this time, more subdued; “can’t you see the misery in the eyes of the people? Can’t you feel the sadness of the average person, even government workers in their inability to meet the basic obligation to their children in this so-called season of joy? My son, take a better look around you and tell me how many are celebrating Christmas. Tell me how may have the means to truly celebrate. Tell me how many in this land were able to buy new dresses for their children. How many of them can afford to slaughter the festival chicken. My son, the politicians have stolen our Christmas!”
I felt a pang of pain well inside me. I began to visualize the despondent look on the faces of the average parent I see these days. I knew it was such a hard and bad time to celebrate. “Politicians have stolen our Christmas”, she had said. How true! But I have to be careful not to show I understand, let alone appreciate her concerns here. “But mother have you considered what the government people are doing to ensure that we enjoyed the festive season? Have you considered the carnivals going on everywhere? Have you considered the carol by 9999 choir singing at the same time? Haba mother! They are trying now?”
She eyed me to be sure if I was serious or simply pulling her legs. I maintained a straight face, not betraying anything going on in my mind. She shook her head in incredulous sadness. She remained uncharacteristically quiet. She began softly; “you said carnival my son? I am sure you were not serious, but let me tell you. What you see the politicians and those who have helped themselves with our common wealth travel to Calabar and Port Harcourt to enjoy is nothing but a sex tourist expedition, where they merely prey on the poverty of helpless girls. Of what use is the staying under the scotching sun to watch scantily dressed maidens to a hungry man on our street? How does the march through the streets of a city put food on the table of a poor man or cloth his naked children. You mentioned 9999 persons singing carols! How cheap can we get! What is the singing of carol by a million choirs when you have not taken a meal? How do you stay and listen to enjoy such music when you know that as soon as you leave the venue, you are going back to your poverty, to your misery and despondence? Don’t make me laugh my son. That choir is one man’s concept to have a slice of the cake up for grabs. That is Nigerian’s way of showing smartness. It does not add any value to the life of the average citizen. If only those hungry citizens knew how much goes into the private back pockets of people in the name of the multitude of singers, there would be a riot! But here we…” “Grandma stop!” I shouted. What treason was she uttering with her mouth? How could she say such a thing, for a show that has gained us entry into the elite Guinness Book of records? What is hunger, what is even poverty when we have booked a place in Guinness?
I took a side look at her. Her eyes were closed, but I was sure she was far from being asleep. It was one of her habits each time she was really angry that I thought she had forgotten. It was a sure sign that more angry outbursts were on the way. She got up and now paced the room, another habit that means she was trying hard to control her anger. I allowed her.
With a mock smile dangling on her lips she said, “My son, I don’t blame you for the way you view things. You have never known good governance and none in your generation knows anything close to governance. So when you fidget at critical thoughts it is understandable. In our time we question leaders, we even had question time in parliament”, she paused for effect. “Have you read the recent labour release in the state?” she queried, allowing me time to respond. I maintained a determined silence. “For the first time the boys there woke up to realities. They came with a position that even the most hardened dictator would read and take another look at his actions”, she stopped abruptly and dashed into her room. The music from the turntable had finished, but I was in no further mood for music. I waited.
She walked in with a sheet of paper and read from it, “Congress appreciates the State Government hurry to industrialize the State as vocally demonstrated in its 2012 budget proposals where over 83% of the total budget is allocated for capital expenditures while a paltry 17% is left for recurrent expenditures, a ratio not obtained anywhere in the world. When compared with the internationally acceptable ratio of 60:40 for a developing economy, the Akwa Ibom State Government has once again broken another record.

“The budget further confirms labour position that this government is anti-people, as a greater proportion of the funds allocated for Capital Expenditure will find its way outside the State through multi-national companies while the greater number of the people remains in abject poverty.

“Congress wishes to restate its position that good governance is not only about infrastructures, some of which are with doubtful returns on investment, but also include the empowerment of the people through improved wages, human capital development and deliberate policy of wealth re-distribution”. I had closed my ears while she read. I was determined not to be a party to all that heresy.”Mr Journalist!” she shouted angrily at me, “Have you taken time to read the budget speech let alone analyzing it? God! Journalism died long ago here in this miserable country. If you had taken time to analyse it, you would have discovered, just as NLC did, that the 17 percent of the budget allocated to recurrent expenditure was a gambit that would fail. You would have discovered that the ministries cannot work. Take a trip to any ministry and tell me which one is working. Tell me which ministry is able to meet even the smallest need. You will discover that commissioners now go as far as making private arrangements to purchase simple stationeries. They will tell you that no ministry can give any local purchase order worth even N20,000. If you doubt me, go and ask the commissioners. Why the pretence? Are we surprised that things are so hard up on the people? My son leave me alone. I want to rest”, she said rising and walking down the long corridor to her room.
“Grandma, I have a Christmas hamper for you here”. She ignored me. I called out again and soon she had disappeared into her room. Helen walked briskly to me and announced that grandma did not want any hampers from me or from any person for that matter. I was confused, but before I could say anything Helen had disappeared again.
Posted By David Augustie
Uyo

No comments:

Post a Comment