Sunday 29 January 2012

Let’s Play Down on 2015 Governorship

-Umana Umana
The Secretary to the Akwa Ibom State Government, Mr. Umana Okon Umana has called on politicians in Akwa Ibom state to play down on the governorship contest in 2015 in the interest of the Gov Godswill Akpabio-led administration. Mr. Umana said the call has become imperative in the wake of wide spread political statements and permutations that have the tendency to distract the current administration from its commitment to meet the yearnings of the people of the state.
Mr. Umana made the call when Weekly Insight called him to make clarifications concerning his interest and ambition to contest the 2015 governorship election, which has been a major issue in the media in the state. He told our correspondent that he was yet to consult or even declare publicly of any such intentions, noting however, that at the appropriate time he would make his intentions known. He said he was aware that many well meaning Akwa Ibom citizens have either approached him to contest, or set up groups drumming support for him. He said that such show of support was a normal expression of such individuals or groups’ political preferences, maintaining that as a person, he had not at any time gone on any consultations, nor made any public pronouncements of any ambition.
“The people forming groups to support me for the 2015 governorship race mean well, but I am constrained to say that any wide spread campaigns and overt political moves now has the tendency to distract the government. I have a job at hand, and that job is to help my principal, the Akwa Ibom state governor, His Excellency, Chief Godswill Akpabio, succeed in his mission to provide excellent service to our people. For now, I think that is my major concern. I don’t want to be distracted from that task. I will continue to render my own measure of work towards the success of Gov Akpabio’s programmes in the state. To be drawn into the politics of 2015 at this stage is therefore, not really what I want”, he told Weekly Insight on telephone. 
Asked to comment on the rumour that he was marked for sack on account of his 2015 ambition, the SSG said, “As we speak, I am still in government. I am even currently abroad on a state matter on the orders of the governor. I think you people in the media have a penchant to play up issues, some of which do not even exist. I have the best of working relationship with my boss and I will not deviate from the mission of supporting the governor to give our state the best governance we have ever seen. My appeal is for all to join hands with His Excellency to continue with the uncommon transformation of our state that he started in his first term in office. That is why I am worried that it is too early in his second term to talk about 2015 in the manner people are going about it as it has the potentiality to distract him and his administration.”
On what he has to say to individuals and groups already drumming support for him, the former Director of Budget, former Permanent Secretary, former Commissioner for Finance, now Secretary to the State Government said, “As a human being, I appreciate people who have stuck out their neck to urge me to run. I just want to tell them that it is certainly not time yet for campaigns for 2015 governorship. Let them play it cool. It is still too early in the day, as I don’t want to also get distracted from my present duties, which is very important to me and the state. Let’s join hands and support the governor, and when it is time for 2015 politics, we will all know.”

No comments:

Post a Comment