Wednesday 21 December 2011

A DAY OUT WITH THE SSS - MY STORY MY EXPERIENCE


Brethren,

First of all, let me acknowledge the supremacy of God, and, let me thank you individually and collectively for your commitment, solidarity, love and support for justice. Until I slept at 11:55pm last night, I received so many calls and messages from all over the globe on just one subject. I never knew my writings had so much influence and never knew there were so many people who believe that certain thing was not right, until yesterday. God will not disappoint any of you in Jesus Name - AMEN.

One important thing I must bring out up-front is that the SSS officials were organized, respectful, and civil in attitude. I believe they are well trained. If the Nigerian police or other security agencies can borrow 10% of their professionalism, we will have a great nation – the guys were so good and receptive.

Four of us, comprising of me, my lawyer, company lawyer with a representative of the company Chief Security Officer arrived SSS office at 11:30am. We spent about 15 minutes in the Gate Reception. We spent another 15 minutes in the Main Reception.

FIRST OFFICE
We were called to the first office at 12:00hrs where we met the officer enjoying his lunch of rice and fresh cat fish pepper soup. He apologized for keeping us waiting.
The lead lawyer from shell made a formal introduction of the team. The officer welcome us but pointed out that it was unnecessary for a contingent of 4 people to come. He particularly said that it was a waste of money for me to ask my personal lawyer to come. What was important to them was my presence, and if there is a need for my personal lawyer to come, they would be the one to advice me; Also if there is a need for detention, they will advise the candidate to call somebody to sign the bail bond, which is free.
He asked the three others to go or if anyone wants to stay, he can wait for me in the reception.

The Shell lawyer asked if my case was work related or personal. The officer responded that it was personal. ‘This is personal and Daddy knows why he is here’ He turned to me and asked playfully, ‘don’t you know it’ No I responded. ‘I know you know’, he cuts in. ‘Until I am told, I will know’ I answered.

WAITING TO SEE THE DIRECTORS
The officer and I moved to the director’s office where I had to wait in a small waiting room. In that room was 3 single sofas, 18” flat screen TV with SylverBird Channel providing video entertainment from local artists. Other items in that room were 2 white plastic chairs, a smaller Iron chair, a window with venetian blind. The sofas and the iron chair look like one of those made in Malaysia products, while the only made in Nigeria products were the plastic chairs. The floor had some good tiles.
I was alone and in some few intermittent occasions people will open the door to pip and close the door behind. At certain time, I had to keep the door half opened so that I can see who comes or passes by. Meanwhile my lawyer was still at the reception downstairs.

FIRST ENTRY INTO THE DIRECTORS OFFICE
The director’s office was a large place, with extra long table with 12 chairs around it. The office is well furnished and beautiful. It also had good tiles similar to the one at the waiting room. It had the pictures of all the critical elements in Nigeria, including that of their overall boss who happen to be an Akwa Ibom man. The religious materials (Bibles, books, e.t.c) on one side of the long table suggest that the director is either a Pastor or a GO of a church.
He opened my file, and it seems something was missing. He asked me to go back to the waiting room again. By this time I was convinced that the environment was not hostile, hence I asked my Lawyer to go to attend to other engagements.

SECOND ENTRY INTO THE DIRECTORS OFFICE
……..to be continued. It's 9:13pm Nigerian time; I have to get to the house.


Chris UdohPHC, Ng


Ikpafak Chris,
Thanks for this brief, it has gone a long way to ease the sigh of relieve. We enjoy the suspense and anxiously waiting for the conclusion of your encounter with the security agency.
Remember that Daniel was thrown into the den of lion to be devoured But God turned them to be friendly and respectful to him. It shall be so with you.

Udo Monday.
Port Harcourt

Ette Chris,
I join other well wishers in giving thanks to God for your safe experience at the SSS office. Most people who called and sent supportive emails prior to your appearance at that office were undoubtedly apprehensive given the track record of security agencies in Nigeria, especially when suspicions abound that such agencies are being used by the powerfully corrupt to threaten, harass, intimidate, silence, and incapacitate the critics of such corrupt persons.
Like many others, I look forward to reading the full story of your interview whenever you avail us to the details, but based on the narrative you've shared so far, I have a hard time characterizing some of the conduct of the operatives you came in contact with as professional. For instance, upon your arrival, you and your attorneys spent a total of 30 minutes between two stops before being ushered into an office to meet with a SSS officer. But what was this officer who had been expecting you doing? He was having lunch (Rice and Fresh Catfish pepper Soup) at his desk. He wasn't prepped and ready. He had no files on his desk detailing specific reasons why the agency would want to interview you. Instead, the officer offered an apology (maybe he continued eating who knows) and then instructed you that legal counsel was unnecessary. Really??? Maybe you showing up with legal representation caught them off guard. The notion that it was a waste of money to go prepared where one's freedom may have been at stake is ludicrous in my view. When your lawyer asked if the matter for which the SSS requested your presence was personal or professional, they answered personal. One has to wonder how professional the officers really are. If the matter was of a personal nature, what then would the SSS want with a law abiding citizen over a personal matter?

"The officer responded that it was personal. ‘This is personal and Daddy knows why he is here’ He turned to me and asked playfully, ‘don’t you know it’ No I responded. ‘I know you know’, he cuts in. ‘Until I am told, I will know’ I answered."

The above exchange is totally unprofessional. Well, I will withhold full judgement until I read the rest of your encounter with the SSS. It is possible that some real pros showed up later and brought their A game to bare during your interaction with them which ultimately impressed you. Either way, the most important thing is that you left a free man, and for that, most of us are grateful. I still pray for God's protection and guidance over you because the enemy may be rolling over in disappointment at the outcome of this encounter and as such, may be cooking up something else. Either way, good will always trump evil.

Princi (FL)

Ete Chris,
Ameka ameyong o, mkpo idioke o, Ameka ameyong o, mkpo idioke o. May God bless the good SSS officials.
Ikpafak Akparawa-awan Aniema DFW

No comments:

Post a Comment