Tuesday 27 December 2011

Gov. Akpabio Vs Ibibio/Ibom Forum: My Day With The SSS By Chris Udoh


Sequel to the face-off between vocally opposed members of Ibibio Nation and Ibom forum, a Yahoo mail group, and the Gov. Akpabio led administration in Akwa Ibom state, there had been a spirited effort to rein-in both groups. Recently a petition that was meant to shut down the two groups was leaked and other subterranean moves to cut to size those perceived to oppose the administration has continued. The fear in the forum had been the hint on tagging the email groups as terror groups, exporting terror to Akwa Ibom state. They were specifically linked to the alleged threat to kidnap the governor and members of his family, a charge the members have vigorously denied.
The purported “bombing” of part of the state broadcasting corporation, AKBC, was again linked to the group by the government. A move that has triggered off a full-scale investigation by security agencies on the activities of members of the group. The groups have as members, high profile Akwa Ibom people, both at home and in the Diaspora, who have used the resources of the internet to comment on critical economic, security, political and administrative issues in the state. Like anything political, membership is sharply divided between those opposed to government and those in support of the Akpabio administration.
Of recent, members who feel strongly that there had been a more than preponderant anti government views have had to float other internet groups such as the Akwa Ibom Diaspora Network’s, Akwaibomglobal, Ibom Chronicle, Ibom Vanguard etc. Some members of these groups constitute a major opposition to the leadership style of Gov Akpabio. 
The push to undo the recalcitrant vocal opposition this week culminated into the security invitation of one of the most rabid critics of the administration based in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, Mr. Chris Udoh, a member of staff of Shell, who had at a time reported in the forum that operatives of government had made some unsavory report concerning him to his employers,. Mr Udoh was guest at the Rivers state head office of the Department of State Security and here recounts his experience. 

“The SSS letter got to shell at closing hour of 20.12.2011 (4:02pm) and I was to report at the Port Harcourt office on 21.12.2011. The luck was that the Legal department was able to reach me on seat at 4:24pm to enable me plan ahead for the slaughterhouse. Our official closing hour is 4:00pm and I suspect the plan was for them to take me by surprise in the morning of 21.12.2011.
I used the opportunity of early information to make few phone calls. On reaching home, I didn’t want my wife to know about it, hence I comported myself as if nothing happened. This was intentional because the thickness of our skins to issues of this nature are at wide variance; while I am able to absorb maximum shock, my wife is of the minimum category. Lock ran out of me when the frequency of phone calls increased more than usual, and she heard my conversations. 
The conversation with my Lawyer broke the camel’s back; then she asked, ‘what is the problem. I overheard you mention SSS’. 'O my dear, it’s not a big deal, I have been invited by the SSS, I will be there early in the morning and return back latter in the day. I just needed my lawyer to be around in case there are issues’ I responded. This was a tactic to dismiss further probes. I hurriedly left the bedroom and ran downstairs to meet with a brother who came from the village, enroute to Ondo state. We watched wrestling till about 11:30pm when I believed Madam would have been asleep. I also did not discuss the SSS invitation with my brother because I did not want to raise unnecessary emotions at home and in the village.
As usual I did some security checks around my house before deciding to proceed upstairs to have the night’s rest. Surprisingly, my wife had suddenly developed a very high fever. I asked, ‘darling, your body is so hot, what’s the problem’ ‘I don’t know’, she whispered. We agreed for her to visit the clinic in the morning. She was leaving the clinic when I was about to take off to the SSS office. This time, her voice was warm and good as she whispered some sweet words through the phone. I responded to her with assurance; ‘We will soon take off to the place, don’t worry. It is the company that is taking me there and they will bring me back before close of business. Take care of the children, bye!’
The first protocol at the SSS Gate house was to retrieve our phones and any form of communication gadgets to make us incommunicado with the rest of the world.
SECOND ENTRY INTO THE DIRECTORS OFFICE
The officer assisting the director came into the waiting room and beckoned to me to come. The director, the officer, and I took a seat around the long table on the right hand side of the office. While the director and the assistance sat together on the left side, I was asked to sit in the opposite direction facing both of them. The officer then handed me some white sheets of A4 paper. They did not introduce themselves. The director opened up by issuing instructions on what to do with the white sheets that were handed to me;
Director: You have those sheets of papers, and if you need more, it will be given to you. I will tell you what to do with them... (I cut in)
Me: Sir may I know you;
Director: I am the SSS director;
Me: I mean your name sir;
Director: I have told you that I am the director of SSS, why do you need my name?. There is only one director of SSS in River State, and that is me, (pointing to himself), everybody knows me. Let us proceed with the reason for today. (I agreed and we move on...)
Director: You are from Akwa Ibom state. You are here because of the governor of Akwa Ibom State. I am going to give you some questions and you will write them down. You will be given enough paper and time to comprehensively respond to those questions.
Me: Can I use the computer to record the questions to make it faster (pointing to the laptop on the table).
Director: No, you have to write the questions with your own hands. 

THE SSS QUESTIONAIRES
Seven questions were dictated to me by the director. Question 1 was for me to provide a detailed background of myself; Question 2 had 8 sub-questions; all other questions had between 2 to 3 sub-questions, except questions 6 and 7 which were comprehensively made of one question each.
Question 1: Give a detailed description of your background
Question 2- What do you know about Ibibio Peoples Union Forum?
Me: Do you mean Ibibio Forum?
Director: Yes Ibibio Forum, or whatever name you people call it. You are a member and you know it.
Me: Ok, Move on, .. 
Director: this question has sub-headings, so take them down and provide detailed answers.
Brethren, I cannot memorise all the questions verbatim, because I was not allowed to take anything away from the place but I will give you an idea of what they covered, which included;
Formation of Ibibio Forum
Time it was founded,
Its Objectives, 
Their sponsors
Key Officers
Its Location
Sources of its Funding
My contributions, e.t.c.
The were questions on:
Number of active members of Ibibio Forum
The type of things that are being discussed
The topics that I posted, e.t.c
Instigation of people to fight the governor
There were various questions on the personality of Thompson Essien, who he is, where he lives and my relationship with him.
There was a question that says that I participated in bombing Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation on 17/10/2011
Other questions were on my role in the pre-election violence in Akwa Ibom state that led to the burning of vehicles
Another question was on sponsoring Ibibio Militia against the governor, my membership and my contributions to the militia group
Question 7 was on the existence of Ibibio Liberation Movement to fight against Akpabio, my role, and money I have contributed to fund the movement.
THE ETTE THOMPSON ESSIEN QUESTION
All the questions centred around Thompson Essien and myself. I would like to advise Ette Thompson Essien to be more careful and vigilant, particularly at this last days; I call it 'the injury time' for the high court/tribunal referees to blow the wistle against Akpabio. With the tone of the allegations and references to Thompson Essien, Godswill Obot Akpabio and his people are prepared to go the extra-mile.
THE BASIS FOR MY INVITATION
It would have been clearer if I am able to present the questions and my responses verbatim. I know my responses but I cannot nit the questions as they were. Notwithstanding, I believe above outline had given you an idea of why Godswill Obot Akpabio sent the SSS after me. Someday you will find the full questions and responses in prints - please look out for 'Rodents on Rampage' a story of a kingdom where the privilaged few sweep the wealths in their kingdom. 
The letter sent to the Chief security officer of Shell, was smart with precision, ...., they were looking for Chris Udoh, a native of Akwa-Ibom State who is an employee in your establishment, .........' The governor’s relation, Mr Emem Akpabio, is my colleague in the same establishment. He is a member of Ibom and IbibioNation Forums. He has access to all the discussions in the forum. 
Aniekan Umanah and many other sycophants are also members of the Forums, however these last categories of people could not have been more précised in their description and direction. 
CONCLUSION
Finally I was told by the SSS officer to write that ‘I have not written anything in Ibibio Forum to instigate people against the governor of Akwa Ibom State’governor' and sign. I did this and signed-off as directed by the SSS officer, before I departed. This is because I know that I have not instigated anyone against Godswill Obot Akpabio - My fights are for good governance in Akwa Ibom state, which aligns with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and my fundamental human right to freedom of speech
If they fail in this one, there is a high likelihood that they will go for the blood, but I know that He that has kept me till date will not disappoint me, and even if He does, I will not bow to the wickedness of Godswill Obot Akpabio and his Cult-infested organisations. Therefore, I am still waiting for further actions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment