Monday 5 December 2011

Witness indicts SSS in Akwa Ibom ACN caseBy

Kazeem Ibrahym, Uyo 28/11/2011 23:35:00
THE first accused person in the trial of the deputy governorshipcandidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) in A, yesterday toldJustice Idongesit Ntem-Isua of an Uyo High Court that the statementtendered by the state prosecutor was dictated to him by the officersof the State Security Service.He said the statement was meant to implicate the ACN candidate, Ime Umanah.At the resumption of the trial-within-trial, the accused told thecourt that the SSS officers instructed him to write that Umanahpromised to give him N10million to start a business by sending thethreatening text messages to Governor Godswill Akpabio.He said: “They said if I cooperated with them, they will cooperatewith me that the governor is ready to give me a job.“That they wanted to use me as a prosecution witness in a case against Umanah.“They said I should write that Dr. Umanah promised me N10million bysending the threatening text messages to the governor. One of the SSSofficers brought out his phone and asked me to write what he dictatedas my statement.“I obeyed him because I was afraid. I was hoping that if I came outalive, I will be able to correct whatever damage the statement musthave done to Dr. Ime Umanah and I.”The duo of Umanah and Iyire are standing trial for allegedlythreatening Akpabio.According to the charge sheet, the offence is contrary to sections 6(1) (b), 6 (2), 10 (1) (C) and 10 (2) of the Akwa Ibom InternalSecurity and Enforcement Law of 2009.Attempt by the Director of Public Prosecution, C. J. Udoh tocross-examine the witness was rejected by the defence counsel, Prof.Andrew Chukwuemerie (SAN).Chukwuemerie said in a trial-within-trial, an accused whose statementis being examined cannot be cross-examined by the DPP.Udoh urged the court to adjourn the matter in order to consult theauthorities cited by the defence counsel.Justice Ntem-Isua adjourned hearing till Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment